Office: Social Sciences 207
Associate Professor of Linguistics
SPRING 2015 Monday 12:10 p.m.-1:30 p.m. Friday 12:10 p.m. to 1:30 p.m. FALL 2015 â€‹
Field Of Study:
Language Program Administration and Pedagogy, including Linguistic Applications targeting (Non-Native) Language Learners
FALL 2015: LING 472/572 Generative Syntax; LING 477 Bilingualism
PREVIOUSLY: LING 270 Introduction to Linguistics; LING 465 Structure and History of English; LING 466 Pedagogical Grammar; LING 478 Second Language Development; LING 489 Morphology
NEW - SPRING 2016: LING 474 Historical Linguistics
B.A. English, Arizona State University, 1988 (Honors' College Undergraduate Thesis)
M.A. Linguistics, Pennsylvania State, 1993
Ph. D. Second Language Acquisition and Teaching, University of Arizona, 1999
Introductory Linguistics, Contact Linguistics (Bilingual Studies and Second Language Acquisition), Classroom Applications targeting (English) language knowledge and usage
- Program Planning, English for Academic Purposes; Language Proficiency Description and Language Behavior; Developing Assessment Instruments
- Methods of Linguistic Analysis as well as their Application to the Language Behavior of Learners
Plan Program in English for Academic Purposes for in-sessional courses convened for international students whose proficiency scores submitted for admission indicate need for support
• Research Grant, University Grant Program, University of Montana, May 2003 to August 2004
• Research Grant, University Grant Program, University of Montana, May 2002 to August 2003
• Research Scholarship, Marshall Foundation, University of Arizona, Fall-Spring 1998-1999.
• Research Award, Dean's Graduate Assistant Teacher Course Release, College of Humanities, Spring 1998
• Tuition Fellowship, Linguistic Society of America 1997 Summer Institute, Cornell University, June 23 to August 1, 1997.
• UM Center for Teaching Excellence, Sophomore Seminar, Proposed Experimental Course, Spring 2007 (with Dr. Mizuki Miyashita).
• Honorary Lifetime Membership, Golden Key International Honour Society, nominated October 1, 2003