Professor of Mathematics, Dept of Mathematical Sciences
I am a Professor of Mathematics in the Dept. of Mathematical Sciences and occasionally contribute in the Dept. of Central and Southwest Asian Studies. I teach a variety of undergraduate and graduate mathematics courses, as well as topics courses in Indo-Iranian and Central Asian studies.
For more biographical details visit:
Field Of Study:
I have a wide range of research interests: Creativity; Learning Sciences; Interdisciplinarity (Math-Art-Science); International Mathematics Education; Epistemology; History and Philosophy of Mathematics
Creativity; Learning Sciences; Interdisciplinarity (Math-Art-Science); International Mathematics Education; Epistemology; History and Philosophy of Mathematics
- Math 307: Introduction to Abstract Mathematics
- Math 136: Mathematics for Elementary School Teachers -2
Wandering the earth
Ph.D in Mathematical Sciences, Northern Illinois University, May 2002.
M.S in Math (emphasis in pure mathematics), Northern Illinois University, August 1999
B.S in Math (emphasis in pure mathematics), University of Alaska-Fairbanks, December 1995
Montana Educators License [Class 2, Endorsement: Mathematics] 2004-current
Illinois Type 09 (Grades 6-12) certification in mathematics: 2000-2004.
St.Michael's School, Bombay, India: 1976-1987
High School Teacher, 2000-2002, Ottawa Township High School, Illinois
Middle School Student Teacher, 1999-2000, Huntley Middle School, DeKalb, Illinois
Graduate Teaching Assistant, 1996-2000, Northern Illinois University
I hold an appointment as Adjunct Senior Research Scientist at the Kaput Center for Research and Innovation in STEM Education, University of Massachusetts, Dartmouth. In addition I edit a number of journals and different book series with Springer Science, Sense Publishers and Information Age- details of which are found below:
Editor, The Mathematics Enthusiast
Series Editor, Advances in Creativity and Giftedness, Sense Publishers (The Netherlands)
Series Editor: Advances in Innovation Education, Sense Publishers (The Netherlands)
Series Co-editor: Advances in Mathematics Education, Springer Science, Berlin/Heidelberg
The Montana Mathematics Enthusiast: Monograph Series in Mathematics Education
Series Co-editor: Cognition, Equity & Society
Associate Editor, Mathematical Thinking & Learning
In academia since 2002...
Merchant Marine, 1989-1992
1. University of Duisburg-Essen, Germany; Jan 2005
2. University of Hamburg, December/January 2006 & January 2007 [one week]
3. University of Southern Denmark, January 2006 [one week]
4. University of Cyprus, February 2006, April 2007, May 2008 [one week each]
5. University of Moncton, New Brunswick, April 2006 [one week]
6. University of Athens and University of Cyprus; August 2006 [two weeks]
7. University of Iceland/Iceland Univ. of Education, October 2006, March 2007 and Feb 2008 [one week each, includes two visits for data collection in Northern Iceland]
8. Gazi University, Ankara, Turkey, June 2007 & July 2008 [1.5 weeks each]
9. Queensland University of Technology, Australia, July 2005; April 2008 [one week]
10. Gazi University, Ankara, Turkey May/June 2008
11. Iran University of Science and Technology August 2009
12. University of Duisburg-Essen, September 2009
13. University of Agder, Norway October 2009
14. University of Tromso, Norway January-February 2010
15. Umea University, Sweden, March 2010
16. University of Aarhus, Denmark March 2010
17. University of Agder, Norway May 2010
18. University of Stavanger, Norway May 2010
19. Seoul National University, South Korea [November 2010~ 1 week]
20. University of Saskatchewan, January 2011 [~1 week]
21. University of Iceland, May 2011
22. University of Tromso, Norway, December 2011
23. Universidad Nacional del Nordeste, Corrientes, Argentina, April 2012
24. University Sainsi-Penang, Malaysia, December 2012
25. Karadeniz Technical University, Turkey, June 2013
26. Ahi-Evran University, Kirsehir, Turkey, June-July 2013
27. University of the Western Cape, South Africa [~1 week], September 2013
28. University of Tromso, Norway, December 2013
29. University of Iceland, March 2014 [~1 week]
30. University of Duisburg-Essen, Germany, June 2014
31. University of Iceland, November 2014 [~1 week]
32. Universidad Antonio Nariño, Colombia [February and June 2015]
33. University of Haifa, Israel, June 2015
LEADERSHIP/ORGANIZATIONAL ROLE IN RESEARCH SYMPOSIA AND FORUMS
1. Co-organizer of The First International Symposium on Mathematics and its Connections to the Arts and Sciences, held at University of Education, Schwaebisch Gmuend, Germany, May 2005.
2. Co-organizer of Research Forum on Theories of Mathematics Education. 29th Annual meeting of International Group for Psychology in Mathematics Education (PME), Melbourne, Australia, July 2005.
3. Co-organizer of the Working Group on Modeling and Applications at the 5th Congress of the European Society for Research in Mathematics Education (CERME5), Larnaca, Cyprus Feb 21-27, 2007.
4. Co-organizer of the 2nd International Symposium of Mathematics and its Connections to the Arts and Sciences, held at the University of Southern Denmark, Odense, [May 2007]
5. Organizer of Symposium “Mathematics/science pedagogy and its connections to science/math and the arts” 9th International History, Philosophy and Science Teaching Group (IHPST) 2007, University of Calgary, June 2007.
6. Co-organizer of Working Group on Data modeling at 13th International Community on Teaching Modeling & Applications (ICTMA 13).Bloomington, Indiana, July 22-26, 2007.
7. Participated in the 2007 Oberwolfach Symposium on Professional Development of Mathematics Teachers: Research and Practice from an International Perspective November11- 17, 2007, Oberwolfach, Germany [Invited by the International Program Committee consisting of members of the Deutsche-Mathematiker Vereinigung; Gesellschaft für Didaktik der Mathematik (GDM), and American Mathematical Society (AMS)]
8. Co-organizer of 3rd International Symposium of Mathematics and its Connections to the Arts and Sciences, held at the University of Moncton, NB, Canada [May 2009] Symposium funded through SSHRC- Canada Grant [co-applicant with Viktor Freiman ]
9. Co-organizer (with Kyeong-Hwa Lee) Special Sessions on Creativity and Talent development in Mathematics. Joint Korea and American Mathematical Society meeting, Seoul Korea, Dec 16-20.
10. Co-organizer of joint PIMS/DMV meeting at Banff International Research Center (Canada) ConferenceTeachers as Stakeholders in Mathematics Education Research (MER) held in December 2010
2014 Fulbright Specialist in Mathematics Education (First Assignment- Universidad Antonio Nariño, Colombia 2015)
2014 Roeper Review Interview http://research.blog.umt.edu/post/83745161018/um-professor-interviewed-for-roeper-review
2009 Golden Alumni Award- Northern Illinois University
2007 School Science and Mathematics Association Early Scholar Award
2006,2007 Nominated for the NAGC Early Scholar Award
2002 NAGC Research Brief of the Year Award
- Sriraman,B., & L. English (2010), Theories of Mathematics Education: Seeking New Frontiers, Springer Science & Business.
- Sriraman, B., Bergsten, C., Goodchild, S., Palsdottir, G., Dahl, B., Haapasalo, L. (2010). The First Sourcebook on Nordic Research in Mathematics Education. Information Age Publishing, Charlotte, NC.
- Sriraman, B., & Freiman, F. (Eds) (2010) Interdisciplinarity for the 21st Century: Proceedings of Third International Symposium on Mathematics and its Connections to the Arts and Sciences. Moncton,2009. Information Age Publishing, Charlotte,NC.
- Ambrose.D., Sternberg.R , Sriraman, B. (2011) . Confronting Dogmatism in Gifted Education. Routledge.
- Sriraman, B., Ambrose, D., Cross, T. (2014). The Roeper School - A Model for Holistic Talent Development. Sense Publishers, The Netherlands.
- Chernoff, E.J & Sriraman, B. (2014) Probabilistic Thinking: Presenting Plural Perspectives Springer, Berlin.
- Sriraman, B., Cai, J., Lee, K.,Fan, L., Lim, C., et al (2014). The First Sourcebook on Asian Research in Mathematics Education: China, Korea, Singapore, Malaysia, Japan & India. Information Age Publishing, Charlotte, NC
- Ambrose, D., Sriraman, B., Pierce, K. (2014). Creativity and Complexity: Deconstructing Cliches. Sense Publishers, The Netherlands.
For a full list of books visit http://www.amazon.com/Bharath-Sriraman/e/B005YQDATS
Selected Journal Articles and Handbook Chapters (since 2011)
Lee, K., & Sriraman, B. (2011). Conjecturing via reconceived classical analogy. Educational Studies in Mathematics, vol. 76, no.2,pp.123-140.
Lee, K.H & Sriraman, B (2012). Gifted girls and non-mathematical aspirations: A longitudinal case study of two gifted Korean girls. Gifted Child Quarterly, vol. 56, no.1, pp. 3-14.
Van Harpen, X.Y., & Sriraman, B (2013). Creativity and mathematical problem posing: an analysis of high school students' mathematical problem posing in China and the USA. Educational Studies in Mathematics, vol.82,no.2,pp. 201-221.
Sriraman, B; Haavold, P., & Lee, K (2013). Mathematical Creativity and Giftedness: A Commentary on and Review of Theory, New Operational Views and Ways Forward. ZDM - The International Journal on Mathematics Education. SpringerOnline First, DOI 10.1007/s11858-013-0494-6.
Job, J., & Sriraman, B. (2013). A Framework for Quality Assurance in Globalization of Higher Education: A View Toward the Future." Interchange: A Quarterly Review of Education. Volume 43, Issue 2. SpringerOnline First, DOI 10.1007/s10780-013-9186-y.
Lee, K., & Sriraman, B. (2013). An Eastern Learning Paradox: Paradoxes in Two Korean Mathematics Teachers' Pedagogy of Silence in the Classroom. Interchange: A Quarterly Review of Education. Volume 43, Issue 2. SpringerOnline First, DOI 10.1007/s10780- 013-9190-2
Sriraman, B. (2013). Kulturelle nyanseforskjeller i matematikk: Bevisenes rolle (in Norwegian) In A.B.Fyhn (Ed). Kultur og matematikk/ Kultuvra ja matematihkka, (pp.137-148), Caspar Forlag, Bergen, Norway. ISBN: 978-8290898-57-6.
Sriraman, B. (2013). Kulturralas erohusazat matematihkas: Duodastusaid sadji (in North Sami). In A.B.Fyhn (Ed). Kultur og matematikk/ Kultuvra ja matematihkka, (pp.149- 160), Caspar Forlag, Bergen, Norway. ISBN: 978-8290898-57-6
Sriraman, B. & Nardi, Elena (2013) . Theories in Mathematics Education: Some developments and ways forward. In M.A. (Ken) Clements et al. (eds.), Third International Handbook of Mathematics Education, Springer International Handbooks of Education 27, DOI 10.1007/978-1-4614-4684-2_10, Springer Science & Business Media, New York.
Sriraman, B., & Juter, K (2013). The interfaces of innovation in mathematics and the arts. In L. Shavinina (Ed). International Handbook on Innovation Education (pp.330-340) Routledge, Taylor & Francis
Chernoff, E., & Sriraman, B. (2015, forthcoming). The Teaching and Learning of Probabilistic Thinking: Heuristic, Informal and Fallacious Reasoning. In Routledge Handbook on Research on Teaching Thinking, Routledge, Taylor & Francis
For a full list please visit: http://www.math.umt.edu/sriraman/presented.html
- Arab Emirates
- Hong Kong
- Iran, Islamic Republic
- Korea - South
- Saudi Arabia
- United Kingdom
- Faroe Islands
- Bahamas, The
- Russian Federation