Accessible Navigation. Go to: Navigation Main Content Footer

Academic Advising


There are approximately 5,000 undergraduate students in majors and minors in the College of Humanities and Sciences (H&S) and an additional 750 students in H&S graduate programs. H&S includes twenty academic departments and programs and offers 54 BA degrees, 10 BS degrees and 38 minors at the undergraduate level.

Advising important dates, deadlines and events

Undergraduate Advising

Academic advising is mandatory at the undergraduate level and enforced by an Advising Number that students obtain after meeting with their advisor each academic term. The College considers good academic advising to be a key ingredient in student satisfaction and academic success.

Every department in the College provides academic advising to undergraduate students, although there are several different advising models in place. In some departments, advising is done by individual faculty members. In other departments, advising is done by a professional advisor and/or trained student advisors. Some departments use a mixed model in which department staff members provide certain advising services that support the advising offered by faculty. Academic advising is an umbrella term that is used to describe various different activities. Academic advising includes the following, depending upon the needs of the student: course schedule advising, or selecting courses to take for any given semester; major and/or minor change or selection; academic planning, or developing a four year graduation plan; assistance for students encountering academic difficulty for various reasons; academic mentoring; advising about scholarships, internships, study abroad, careers or graduate school opportunities.

Centralized H&S Advising

Melanie Hoell is the centralized Advising Director in the H&S Dean's Office (LA 136). She does a variety of advising tasks, including reinstating students after academic suspension and working with students referred for various reasons from advisors in departments. She monitors and evaluates the advising efforts across the College of Humanities and Sciences. Dr. Hoell is available to answer advising questions from College faculty, staff and students. Contact information: LA 136, 406.243.4005 and

About H&S Advising

Department Chairs and Contacts

Department Contact Information


Degree/Major Change Form: This form is not available online. The form is available through the Registrar's Office. Contact Linda Jesse, 243-2939 for more information.

Drop/Add Form: This form is not available on line. This form is used to change registration between the 16th and 45th instructional day. It is available from the Registration Counter in Griz Central.

General Education Requirements Checklists:
View the Autumn 09 Worksheet
View the Autumn 05 – Summer 09 Worksheet (Expires Summer 2015)
View the Autumn 00 – Summer 05 Worksheet (Expires Summer 2011)
Front & Back

Readmission Application for Undergraduate Students: Students previously enrolled at the University of Montana who have not been enrolled for 24 months or more must submit an application for readmission.

Registration Override Form: This form is not available online. This form is used within the 1st through 15th instructional days of the current semester. The form is used for restrictions on courses such as: Major Restrictions, Class Restrictions, Closed Courses, Consent of Instructors and Consent of Honors. Do not use this form after the 15th instructional day of the semester. It is available from the Registration Counter in Griz Central.

Reinstatement Form for Students on Academic Suspension: Following suspension, students will generally not be considered for reinstatement until at least one semester has passed. For reinstatement, student meets with advisor to complete the Reinstatement Plan Form and gain approval from the Dean's Office.


Declare or Change a Major: Many college students arrive on campus with a major picked out, only to discover that it isn't really what they thought it would be or it isn't suited to their individual talents and abilities. Other students come to college without a major in mind. In both situations, the majority of students will find their true calling by sampling a selection of subjects while working on General Education Requirements and will be ready to declare their major after their first several semesters.

Once a major is selected, you pick up a Major Change Form from the Registrar's Office in the Lommasson Center. You'll take this form to the major that you are leaving (i.e., your current major) for that signature and then you'll take the form to your new major department for a signature. At this time, you'll want to find out who your new advisor will be in the future.

Once all signatures have been obtained, turn the form back into the Registrar's Office or the Registration Counter in Griz Central. Your new major will be entered into Cyberbear and be reflected in the future on your transcript.

If you continue to be uncertain about major selection, there are some interesting exercises to follow on the Discover a Major link on the Undergraduate Advising Center webpage.

Plan My Schedule: There is a feature called Academic Planner that is a tool for helping you plan your course schedule. It is not like Cyberbear, where you actually register for classes, but it is a way of checking to make certain you are on track, are taking the right courses and it helps you avoid scheduling conflicts among classes.

You access Academic Planner from the front page of Cyberbear, right hand menu or the UM Home Page A-Z. You'll first log on to OneStop with your NetID and password (find in personal information on Cyberbear). Once you're in OneStop, you'll access the Academic tab in the upper left hand corner and select the semester you want.

For example, you can search any subject under "search courses" and every course in that subject will be listed. You can click the green plus sign by a course and a course description will appear. Click anyplace on the class information to add the course to your schedule. The days/times of the class will appear in a scheduling grid that you can print out or send to your email.
Remember that you still have to actually register for your selected courses in Cyberbear when it is your time to register!

Register for the WPA: The Writing Proficiency Assessment is part of the Writing Requirements under General Education. Once you have taken your WRIT 101 and the first writing course, you should register for the WPA. For more information, go to


Graduation Appeals: A student who is requesting to meet University or General Education Requirements in an alternate way must petition the Academic Appeals Committee for approval. The form is available here and it requires documenting materials and signatures from the student's advisor, department chair and dean of the student's college. For further information, please contact Paulette Nooney in the Registrar's Office at 243-2422.

Petition to Change Registration after the 45th Instructional Day: Registration changes after the 45th day of the term is by petition only and requires approval from the student's advisor, the course instructor and the dean of the student's college. This form is not available online. It is available from the Registration Counter in Griz Central.

Withdrawal – Retroactive: This is a petition for withdrawing after the 14th week of attendance. This form is available at the Registrar's Office and requires documentation and the signatures of the student's advisor, department chair and dean of the student's college. For further information, please contact Linda Jesse at 243-2939.

Advising Handbook


A-Z Frequently Asked Questions

Advising Resources

Advising Blog

Campus Contacts