Liberal Arts - 32 Campus Drive

Missoula, MT - 59812


Frequently Asked Questions about Composition Placement

I was told I am already placed into a WRIT class. How did that happen?
Generally, students are placed into an English Composition course or a pre- requisite course by the levels of their MUSWA, ACT writing, or SAT writing scores.

What if I don't know what my scores are?
Your advisor will have your scores recorded in Banner and can help you understand your writing placement.

What if I transferred or am returning to school and I don't have scores?
If you do not have scores or are returning to college, you can either begin with WRIT 095, or you can take the composition placement.

If I placed into WRIT 201, do I have to take it?
If you place directly into WRIT 201, we encourage you to take this course in order to be challenged academically, but you are allowed to register for WRIT 101 instead.

What if I took a class like WRIT 101 at another school?
If you have passed equivalent writing classes at another university you might be eligible for the Transfer Student Petition. Please contact the English Advising office with further questions.

How can I take the composition placement?
The UM composition placement is offered during summer and fall orientation, once during spring semester and once during fall semester. Please contact the English advisor at 243-6976 for a schedule.

Do I need to prepare for the composition placement? Do I need to bring anything with me?
There is no registration or preparation necessary for the placement. You only need to bring your student ID# and a writing utensil.