Liberal Arts - 32 Campus Drive
Missoula, MT - 59812
Requirements for the Major (B.A.)
All English majors with the teaching option must complete a minimum of forty–five (45) credits in English and 128 credits overall. These 45 credits must include the following:
- Either LIT 220: British Literature: Medieval through Early Modern or LIT 221: British Literature: Enlightenment through Romantic
- Two (2) of the following courses: LIT 222: British Literature: Victorian through Contemporary, LIT 210: American Literature I, LIT 211: American Literature II
- One (1) course chosen from LIT 120: Introduction to Poetry, LIT 201: Introduction to Literary Studies or ENCR 211: Introduction to Creative Writing (Poetry)
NOTE: Students must fulfill all Pre–English requirements before progressing further within the English program. Pre–English majors are blocked from taking LIT 300– and 400–level courses.
- LIT 300: Applied Literary Criticism
- LIT 327: Shakespeare
- Two (2) additional 300–level LIT courses, one of which concentrates in American literature, the other of which has a diversity focus (i.e., a course which carries an accompanying "d" designation; please keep documentation–e.g., a course syllabus, a copy of the department offerings list, etc.–that indicates your chosen course fulfills the diversity requirement)
- The following English Teaching courses: ENLI 465: Structure and History of English for Teachers; ENT 439: Studies in Young Adult Literature, ENT 440: Teaching Writing, ENT 441: Teaching Reading and Literature, ENT 442: Teaching Oral Language and Media Literacy
- Two (2) elective courses from ENLI (Linguistics), ENCR (Creative Writing), ENFM (Film Studies), WRIT (Composition & Rhetoric, above 100 level), or ENIR (Irish Studies, above 200 level)
- Secondary school teaching certification courses (see the School of Education for more details and information).