Placement examinations are done from 4:00-5:00 p.m. at each UM Orientation, in LA 104. Under special circumstances exams may also be taken by appointment , please contact the department's main office at 243-2401, or by email at email@example.com with any questions or to set up an appointment.
- Friday August 31st, 2012- Fine Arts Room 210 from 2:30-3:30 p.m.
The department offers a computerized placement/assessment examination in French, Spanish and German . Students also can arrange individually to take the CLEP exam, administered by University Testing Services (LC 157, 243-6257) in French, German or Spanish. Credit is automatically granted for Advanced Placement scores of 3, 4, or 5.
These exams are not required, but serve one or more of three purposes:
- Exemption from the General Education Competency Requirement in Foreign Language: if the student achieves a score that indicates a competence equivalent to the completion of French, German, or Spanish 102 (second semester). (See the General Education Requirements section of this catalog.)
- Placement for further study in the language: the score achieved on this test is an accurate indicator of the course level at which language study should be resumed at the University (e.g. 102, 201, 202).
- Credit by examination: A student with extensive language study may score high enough on the placement exam to qualify for University credits if she or he places into 202 or 301. By taking the course into which she or he placed (202 or 301) and receiving a B (3.00) or better, the student may then receive four by-pass credits (Pass grade only) for the preceding course (201 or 202).
Students who elect not to take this exam may:
- Satisfy the General Education Competency Requirement in Foreign Language by successfully completing a University foreign language 102 (second semester) course.
- Estimate their placement level for further study by the approximate equating of one year of high school study to one semester of university study. Students should consult with the department in making this estimate.