Accessible Navigation. Go to: Navigation Main Content Footer



As an undergraduate student majoring in Sociology, you have been assigned a faculty member in the department to serve as your major advisor. Your Sociology major advisor's role is to help you meet your major (and any major option) requirements for your BA degree.

However, your Sociology major advisor cannot do many other kinds of academic advising. Consult the following Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) to help you find additional resources.

  1. I want to study abroad and I need to find out what courses I can take abroad that will count toward my major degree here at UM. Who can tell me what courses will count for major and/or degree requirements?

    Your first stop is to see Linda Ellersick, the Study Abroad Coordinator in International Programs. Linda responds to inquiries and advises students wishing to study abroad as well as assists in processing applications for UM-sponsored study abroad and exchange programs.

    Contact information:

    Office: International Center 103

    Phone: + 1 406 243 2288

    Fax: +1 406 243 6194


  2. I am interested in adding a minor to my Sociology major. Who advises me on minor opportunities and requirements?

    Minors can be departmental minors, such as a minor in Psychology, or interdisciplinary minors, such as International Development Studies (IDS). Departmental minors are administered by their departments and you can get advice from departmental representatives. Interdisciplinary minors usually have designated minor coordinators and/or their assistants. For any interdisciplinary minor that you are considering, check the A-Z index on the UM website and find out who the faculty coordinator is and contact that person and/or his/her minor assistant. Note: In some cases, Sociology faculty may also serve as interdisciplinary minor advisors.

  3. I transferred to UM with what I think are credits towards my degree requirements. Who do I see about whether these credits have been approved for transfer credit?

    As a transfer student, you should have received a letter and transcript from the UM Registrar's Office indicating what courses that you have taken elsewhere have transfer credit and what credit they have received, e.g., an "NS" after a course that you have elsewhere means that you have received Natural Science credit towards UM's General Education requirement. If you don't know what the transfer credits mean, or you need help obtaining your transcript, you should go to the Registrar's Office. If you also need help in obtaining transfer credit that you think you should be given for courses taken elsewhere, you should go to the Undergraduate Advising Center in the same building (Lomasson Center) as the Registrar's Office. [Note: If you need help obtaining equivalence credit for Sociology major course requirements, see the next section]. If you have transferred to UM from another college or university, you should have received a letter and/or transcript from the registrar indicating what courses will transfer and what credit you will receive. You need to bring this transfer documentation with them you when you see an advisor. If you don't know what the transfer documentation means, or if you don't have it, you should go to the Registrar's Office.

  4. I have not done well at UM so far and I think I may be on academic probation. Who do I see about what I need to do?

    You are placed on academic probation at the end of any semester if your cumulative GPA drops below 2.00. "Academic Probation" is the yellow light phase of academic progress - it indicates that you are experiencing challenges at the University that are now reflected in your course performance. Being placed on academic probation does not mean you cannot succeed at the University. You should seek the array of services and programs offered through the Division of Student Affairs. You remain on academic probation as long as your cumulative grade point average is below a 2.00. If you ultimately face academic dismissal, the Division of Student Affairs can advise you.

  5. My financial aid hasn't arrived in time for registration. Who do I see?

    Financial aid questions are addressed by the UM Financial Aid office:

    Lommasson Center 218

    Missoula, MT 59812

    Phone: (406) 243-5373

    Fax: (406) 243-4930

  6. What other advising resources might be available to me?

    If you have, or need, documentation of a disability, you should contact Disability Services for Students (DSS), especially if you need assistance for taking notes or special arrangements for exams or other related needs. You can contact DSS in the Lomasson Center 154 or at

    You may be a student eligible for TRiO Student Support Services if you meet at least ONE of the following qualifications:

    • You are a First-Generation College Student , i.e., neither parent (or guardian) completed a four-year college degree before your 18th birthday;

    • You are a Low-Income student, i.e., you qualify under federal financial guidelines (similar to Pell Grant eligibility);

    • You have a documented physical or learning disability.

    • If you meet any one of the qualifications, you can receive support and advice from the TRIO advisors.



    The University of Montana

    Lommasson Center, 180

    Missoula, MT 59812

    (406) 243-5032

    If you are a veteran and need advice and/or resources, you can contact the Veterans Education and Transition Services (V.E.T.S.) Office:

    1000 E. Beckwith

    Missoula, MT 59801

    Phone: 406-243-2744

    If you are an international student with questions about your academic program while attending UM, you can contact Marja Unkuri-Chaudry

    International Center 110

    The University of Montana

    Phone: +1 406 243 2296

    If you are a student athlete, you can contact your Athletic Academic Advisor:

    Jennifer Zellmer-Cuaresma

    EL 287

    (406) 243-2600

    If you are a Native American student and need advice and/or resources, you can contact:

    American Indian Student Services

    The University of Montana - Missoula

    The Payne Family Native American Center

    Missoula, MT 59812

    Phone: (406) 243-6306

  7. I need to plan my schedule for next semester. What do I do?

    First you need to use Academic Planner. Academic Planner is a tool to help students plan class schedules. It's not like Cyberbear where you can actually register for classes. Rather, it is more of a guide to make sure you're on track, have the right number of credits, and avoid scheduling conflicts. To use Academic Planner you must first log on to OneStop, which is a customized landing page just for students. You must know your NetID and password (you can find out your NetID under personal information in CyberBear). Once you're in, click the Academics tab in the upper left corner and then find the semester you want to work with.

    After you have planned your schedule on Academic Planner, you need to go to the next step. If you are a freshman or sophomore with a declared major in Sociology, you need to make an appointment with Melanie Hoell, the College of Arts and Science's academic advisor. You can contact Melanie at or at 243-4005 or find her in LA 136.

    If you are a junior or senior with a declared major in Sociology, you should plan to go to a Department of Sociology group advising session. Group sessions are scheduled to give you course advising information and registration numbers and times specifically for next-semester course scheduling The schedule for group advising sessions will be posted a week before the next semester's advising period begins on the announcement white board next to the department's administrative assistant's office. When you go to a department group advising session, make sure you bring:

    1. your tentative course schedule from Academic Planner,
    2. your transcript,
    3. your completed General Education form (available in the department), and
    4. your Sociology major requirement form (available in the department)

    If you still have questions after the department group advising session, you can make an individual advising appointment with your Sociology faculty advisor. Lists of assigned faculty advisors are posted outside the department's administrative assistant's door. Look for your name and the faculty advisor to whom you have been assigned. Then look for the advising appointment sign-up sheet on your faculty advisor's office door. You can sign up for an advising appointment on the appointment schedule posted on your Sociology faculty advisor's door during the advising period each semester (except for summer session). When you go to your individual advising appointment, make sure you bring

    1. your tentative course schedule from Academic Planner,
    2. your transcript,
    3. your completed General Education form (available in the department), and
    4. your Sociology major requirement form (available in the department)
  8. I am ready to submit my graduation application to the Registrar's office. Who checks my graduation application in the department?

    Graduation applications for a BA degree in Sociology are available in the form shelves in the department. Pick up a form and fill it out. You need to plan on attending a graduation application group advising session before the application deadline in the semester prior to your last semester before graduating, e.g., by October 1 in fall semester if you are graduating at the end of the following spring semester. The chair, or co-chairs, of Sociology will review your completed graduation application following your attendance at a graduation application group advising session.

  9. I think I should receive equivalence credit for sociology courses that I took elsewhere for major requirements in sociology here at UM. Who do I see?

    You need to see the chair, or co-chairs, of the department for questions regarding course equivalences or substitutions towards the Sociology major requirement.

  10. I have other questions that are not addressed here.

    You can see your Sociology faculty advisor for guidance on where to go or what to do for help.

College of Humanities and Sciences at the University of Montana

Graphics, Design, & Layout by Spectral Fusion Designs, 2013.